What comes to your mind when you think about a ‘brand’? A distinctive identity which just needs its name for the recognition, is what we consider brand. So, Personal branding is creating an exclusive niche for yourself, where a mere search engine result can portray, what are your credentials and what you work towards. Today, if you look at any famous actor, whether it be Amitabh Bachchan or Robert Downey Jr., they are a brand name themselves. We just need to know their presence in a movie to know whether the movie is going to be a blockbuster or a flop. This is called the personal branding. It’s like controlling the narrative of your face value. We’re going to come across people who will have to check your background, it could be your employer or banks while considering you for a special scheme or even your prospective marriage proposal. With respect to social media taking the forefront lead, it is now of utmost importance that we adopt and support personal branding. The Amazon’s founder, Jeff Bezos, one quoted that, “Your brand is what people say, when you are not in the room” and which is a hundred percent true. Following are a bunch of reasons, as to why is it necessary to have a personal branding: –
1) Aids you in constructing a finer business approach: – To all the businesses out there, what is better than having your business being branded. Personal branding gives you just about that. We know ourselves better than anybody, so why not brand us ourselves. With business branding themselves on their own, it helps them to reduce costs of outsourcing the same and help themselves exploring the untapped clientele. By having a personal branding, businesses can have an influential market standing.
2) Builds up the Gig Economy: – Gig Economy is the new-age trend where people are flexible with their jobs instead of settling down with one. In the era, where the Gig economy is being adopted, by the means of personal branding, one can facilitate their way into the gig economy. You can create a virtual niche for yourself, where people can contact you whenever you are suitable for the job and this can mediate your way as a freelancer. Gig economy is here to stay and so is your virtual prominence.
3) Helps in facilitating the interview process: – Usually, the interviewers do the background check by various sources, like one-on-one interaction, tangible assistance through known people and now, with the internet being the dominant king of processes, this background check is also conducted through the internet, where the interviewers look your name up and search your profile thoroughly. This way, you would want to update yourself on the internet with your skills, qualification and the one stop solution for it is the personal branding.
4) Helps you in becoming a shining star: – By having a personal brand name to yourself, you can be distinguishable from the crowd. How does a person get to know whether you are different from the other person being considered? By creation of a personal brand, you display yourself out there to prospectors from all around. You can prove yourself to be better choice in the cut-throat dynamic competition. This can apply to a plethora of situations like prospective marriage proposals, prospective job application etc.
5) Escorts innumerable opportunities: -The sky is the limit and the world is yours to explore. By personal branding, you invite innumerable opportunities your way. You give yourself a global exposure with worldwide opportunities on your platter by simply presenting yourself as your best self possible. For instance, an employer in Germany might screen you and find you suitable for their job position, then this happens to be perfect perk of having a personal branding.
6) Creates a sense of assurance among your audience: – A person or an organization that is branding themselves, implies the meaning that they are legitimate in their approach and are no fraudulent identities. This creates a foundation of trust among people who follow you and look up to you. They will be assured of the fact that looking up to in certain opportunities won’t prove futile.
7) Signifies a wonderful notoriety: – As an Individual in the contemporary world, you are not competing with just people around you but with a larger spectrum of audience. A superlative reputation is a sure result with personal branding. One’s name can speak for itself after a sometime. By having a personal branding, we know that the person is legit. We also get to know about the skill possession and the character standing and all this work is accomplished by the grace of personal branding.
Successful people like Oprah Winfrey and the Kardashians and other to name a few, are a perfect example of personal branding today. They did their personal branding. They made themselves from the scratch and their recipe of success is the concoction of their skills, hard work and of course, personal branding.